The LTA regulates the provision of taxi services in Singapore by:
- Issuing Taxi Service Operator Licences
- Issuing Taxi Driver Vocational Licences
- Monitoring the service and capacity levels of taxi operators
- Designating the location of taxi stands within the CBD
- Conducting surveys and service audits on the waiting time for taxis, taxi driver service performance and call booking response times
- Ensuring operators and drivers adhere to the Quality of Service Standards and Taxi Availability Standards
The QoS is a way of monitoring the service and safety performance of taxi operators and drivers. It’s how we ensure that commuters are satisfied with the level of service received.
LTA oversees the performance of all taxi operators across these measures:
- Taxi booking service
- Taxi Drivers’ Conduct
LTA also recognises the need to ensure that there is adequate taxi supply on the road when demand is at its peak and also the need for general taxi availability throughout the day. The TA standards are set in a way to ensure that taxis are better utilised and made more available on the roads to serve commuters.
The performance of the taxi companies for the TA standards will be measured on a monthly basis, starting from 1 January 2013.
Apart from the above, monthly surveys/audits are also conducted to collect feedback from commuters:
- Public Opinion Surveys – conducted monthly to rank the various taxi companies.
- Mystery Customer Audits – monitor service levels and rank various taxi companies based on quantifiable service delivery measures (e.g. driver service, ride experience).
- Waiting time at taxi stands - conducted monthly to find out the average waiting time at major taxi stands in the city at hourly intervals between 5pm - 12am.
View the latest results of the average waiting time at taxi stands for the following clusters:
- Orchard Cluster
- Bugis Cluster
- City Hall Cluster
- Chinatown Cluster
- Raffles Place / Tanjong Pagar Cluster
To help taxi commuters save time, the LTA has launched the Taxi Information System (TIS) trial at seven selected taxi stands on 5 November 2014.
With a taxi information system using real-time information about commuter demand, it allows LTA to monitor real-time commuter demand and provide this information to taxi companies, alerting their drivers to locations with high demand.
The one year TIS trial will available at the following seven selected taxi stands:
- OG People’s Park (Upper Cross Street)
- Hitachi Tower (Collyer Quay)
- Lucky Plaza (Orchard Road)
- HarbourFront Centre (Telok Blangah Road)
- VivoCity (Telok Blangah Road)
- Ngee Ann City (Orchard Turn)
- Keck Seng Tower (Cecil Street)
You may also access the taxi stand information on your mobile phone via the MyTransport.SG mobile app, which is now available for Android users at Google PlaySM. It will be available for iPhone users at a later date.
*Average passenger waiting time will be available by end 2014.