1. In November 2014, two new bus services will be introduced and two services will be enhanced through supplementary bus services as part of the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP), while one existing bus service will be amended to better serve commuters’ travel needs. These bus services are:
New SMRT Bus Service 990 (15 Nov 2014)
New Supplementary SBS Transit Bus Service 43M (16 Nov 2014)
Extended operating hours of supplementary SBS Transit Bus Service 17A (16 Nov 2014)
New SBS Transit Bus Service 201 (23 Nov 2014)
Amendment to SMRT Bus Service 189 (23 Nov 2014)
More Services, Better Connections
2. The new SMRT Bus Service 990 will operate from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and ply Bukit Batok East Avenue 3, Bukit Batok East Avenue 6, Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Jurong East Central, Toh Guan Road and Boon Lay Way to loop around Jurong Gateway Road to Jurong East MRT station and bus interchange. Operating daily from 5.45am to 12 midnight, Service 990 is the 32nd new bus service introduced under BSEP.
3. Besides linking commuters to Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and Jurong East MRT station, the new service will also provide convenient access to amenities such as the commercial malls in Jurong East and the upcoming Jurong General Hospital.
4. SBS Transit Bus Service 43M supplements SBS Transit Bus Service 43 by enhancing the connection between Punggol Bus Interchange and Serangoon Central.
5. The service operates daily from 5.50am to 11.05pm and will serve Punggol Way, Sengkang East Road, Sengkang Central, Buangkok Drive, Buangkok Green, Yio Chu Kang Road, Yio Chu Kang Link, Upper Serangoon Road and Serangoon Central. With more trips injected daily including on weekends, this supplementary service will alleviate crowding and reduce waiting time for commuters travelling between Punggol and Serangoon Central. It will provide better access to key transport nodes such as Punggol and Serangoon Bus Interchanges, Punggol, Buangkok and Serangoon MRT Stations, amenities such as Ren Ci Hospital & Medicare Centre, Serangoon Sports & Recreation Centre and NEX as well as schools such as Hougang Secondary and Hougang Primary.
6. SBS Transit Bus Service 17A currently operates during weekday peak periods and supplements SBS Transit Bus Service 17 by enhancing the connection between Bedok North Avenue 4 and Bedok Bus Interchange. With more trips injected including on weekends from 5.55am to 11.00pm, Service 17A will reduce waiting times and increase capacity for Bedok North residents travelling between Bedok Avenue 4, Bedok North Road and Bedok North Avenue 1 to Bedok Bus Interchange and Bedok MRT Station. Access to amenities such as Bedok Polyclinic and Kampong Chai Chee CC, and schools such as Fengshan Primary, St. Anthony Canossian Primary and St. Anthony’s Canossian Secondary will also be improved.
7. A new loop service – Bus Service 201 – operated by SBS Transit will improve connectivity for residents in the Teban/Pandan Gardens and West Coast area to Clementi MRT Station and Kent Ridge Bus Terminal. Operating daily from 5.45am to 11.30pm, the service will commence from Kent Ridge Bus Terminal, ply West Coast Road, Clementi Avenue 2, Commonwealth Avenue West (where Clementi MRT station is located), Clementi Avenue 6 and Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) to Penjuru Road, and loop around Teban Gardens Road and Pandan Gardens. Service 201 is the 33rd new bus service to be rolled out under BSEP.
8. Besides enhancing connectivity to key transport nodes, the new service will also provide residents with more convenient access to amenities like Teban Gardens Market and Hawker Centre, Ayer Rajah Community Centre, West Coast Plaza, Commonwealth Secondary School, Kent Ridge Secondary School, Clementi Woods Secondary School and Waseda Shibuya Senior High School.
9. SMRT loop Bus Service 189 currently plies between Bukit Batok Bus Interchange and Kent Ridge Bus Terminal, serving Clementi MRT Station and West Coast Road en route. With the introduction of the new Service 201 which will serve commuters between Clementi MRT Station and Kent Ridge Bus Terminal, the route for Service 189 will be amended to ply Clementi Avenue 1 before making a loop back to Bukit Batok Bus Interchange.
10. The amended route will enhance connectivity for commuters along Clementi Avenue 1, and improve links to NUS High School and Nan Hua High School. Existing commuters of Service 189 along West Coast Road travelling to Clementi MRT Station will not be inconvenienced as the stretch of road will continue to be served by existing Service 175; alternatively they can take the new Service 201. In addition, existing Service 175 and the new Service 201 provide a connection to the amended Service 189 at Clementi MRT Station.
11. With the route amendment, the operating hours of Service 189 will be extended to 11.15pm daily while the commencement of the first bus remains at 5.45am.
12. Please refer to the attached posters for more details.
Annex: Posters of Bus Services