The Land Transport Authority (LTA) honoured 35 contractors for excellent Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) practices at the 16th Annual Safety Award Convention (ASAC) this morning. Samsung C&T Corporation received the top award, the LTA Contractors Challenge Shield, for its work on Contract 923 to construct the Upper Changi Station under the Downtown Line 3 project. Please refer to the full list of winners in Annex A.
2. The theme for this year’s convention “Reduce Hazards through Innovation and Technology” aims to encourage the use of construction technologies to reduce or eliminate exposure to hazards at worksites.
3. LTA Chairman, Mr Michael Lim commended the use of ground freezing technology for the Marina Bay Station, a first in the construction of our rail network.
4. This year, a total of 49 participating contracts from various categories were eligible for the award. The finalists for the LTA Contractors Challenge Shield are shortlisted under the Mega Category following a stringent audit, which includes a comprehensive review of the site's WSH management system and worksite practices.
One New Category of Safety Awards
5. One new category the “Most Improved Contractor Award” was presented to contractors who have made significant improvements in their WSH standards, and encourage our contractors to strive for excellence.
6. ASAC was inaugurated in 1999 to recognise contractors who have been proactive and successful in promoting WSH management practices at their worksites, ensuring high health, safety and welfare standards of the workers, and giving due consideration to protecting the public and the environment.
Speech - ASAC