1. The Land Transport Authority’s MyTransport.SG Mobile App, a smartphone application, has won the Silver Award at the 2012 W3 Awards under the category, “Mobile Application - Maps and Navigation”. LTA is the first public agency in Singapore to win the W3 awards.
2. Judging criteria for this category was based on the following factors: creativity, usability, navigation, functionality, visual design and ease of use.
3. Launched in November 2011, MyTransport.SG provides transport related information, such as bus arrival services, viewing of traffic camera images, calculation of ERP rates of an intended journey, etc.
4. MyTransport.SG Mobile App generates at least 1.6 million page-views monthly from users seeking transport related information to better plan or make more informed decisions of their journey.
5. As an added channel for public feedback, LTA introduced a “Snap-&-Send” function in the app to enable the public to make use of smartphone features to snap pictures of road infrastructure defects such as potholes on the roads, faulty traffic lights, obstructed signage, damaged railings and bridges etc and send these pictorial feedback to LTA from their mobile devices.
6. Over 1,000 cases have been received since its launch. These pictorial feedbacks are routed to LTA’s officers from various departments so that they could rectify these defects quickly. (Refer to App Annex 1 for examples of public feedback on road infrastructure defects and action taken.)
7. The “Snap-&-Send” feature has also helped LTA staff and engineers in their daily operational work to conduct checks for defects in road infrastructure or to provide feedback on how to improve the commuting experience.
8. For example, the “Snap-&-Send” feature has helped LTA officers to reach out to more remote parts of Singapore such as replacing a traffic light position misalignment along Woodlands Road. It has also improved LTA’s operational efficiency by pin-pointing the defective road infrastructure’s location more quickly and accurately with the help of GPS-enabled smartphones.
9. On Thursday, 11th October 2012, the LTA also launched an updated version of the mobile app with a refreshed design to give the application a new look that makes it more user-friendly.
About the W3 Awards
W3 Awards is an international award that honours creative excellence in websites, mobile applications, web videos and other marketing programmes. The W3 is sanctioned and judged by the International Academy of the Visual Arts (IAVA), an invitation-only body consisting of top-tier professionals from a "Who's Who" of acclaimed media, interactive, advertising, and marketing firms. IAVA members include executives from organisations such as AvatarLabs, Big Spaceship, Block Media, Conde Nast, Coach, Disney, The Ellen Degeneres Show, Estee Lauder, Fry Hammond Barr, Microsoft, MTV Networks, Polo Ralph Lauren, Sotheby's Institute of Art, Victoria's Secret, Wired, Yahoo! and many others. This international award has attracted nominations from many countries/regions such as Australia, Beirut, Canada, Dubai, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, London, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Paris, Turkey and USA.