The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will extend the Mandatory Give Way to Buses Scheme to another 150 bus stops island-wide from mid December onwards. The Mandatory Give Way to Buses Scheme is one of priority measures to complement our ongoing efforts to improve the reliability of our bus services.
2. Works to extend the first batch of 15 bus stops along Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, Petir Road and Yio Chu Kang Road are expected to be completed by end December.
3. When completed, the scheme will cover a total of 353 bus stops island-wide, an increase of more than 50% from the current 203 bus-stops. Buses plying along these bus stops will find it easier to exit from the bus bays, translating into better bus service reliability.
4. For the remaining bus stops, LTA will provide sufficient notice to motorists on the implementation details when ready. LTA expects to complete the implementation of the 150 bus stops by mid 2014. Please refer to Annex A for the full list of roads where the scheme will be extended to.
5. Motorists are reminded that it is a traffic offence for not giving way to buses exiting bus bays at bus stops with the new traffic signs and markings drawn. The penalty for each offence is a fine of $130 (no demerit pts).
How the Scheme Works
6. The Mandatory Give Way to Buses Scheme is similar conceptually to a zebra crossing, except that it is meant for buses.
7. When nearing a bus stop under this scheme, motorists will first see triangular give way markings on the road. These markings indicate that motorists approaching these bus stops need to slow down and watch in case buses are pulling out of the bus bay. Motorists come to a complete stop before the give way line and give way to buses exiting the bus bay at the location. Motorists may continue their journey once the bus has successfully exited the bus bay and no other buses are pulling out from the bus bay.
8. It will be a traffic offence if motorists do not give way to buses exiting from bus bays where the new road markings are drawn or if they stay in the yellow box marked ‘Give Way to Buses’.