1. The Land Transport Authority’s mobile channel - MyTransport.SG, a smartphone application, has become the first in Asia Pacific to bag an award at the international Summit Emerging Media Award (EMA) 2012 for visionary achievements.
2. The Visionary Award is the highest accolade extended by Summit EMA, bestowed on a small fraction of entries. The only Singapore entry to win in the Navigation Application category, MyTransport.SG stood out for its uniqueness, visual design and creativity interaction design and functionality, and user experience, amongst other criteria.
3. Hitting a peak of 3 million page-views a month, MyTransport.SG is a content-rich service offering a wide range of information for all modes of land transportation - empowering commuters, motorists and cyclists in Singapore to make informed decisions and better plan their journey with information on the nearest bus-stops and taxi stands, nearest cycling paths, parking lot location and availability, traffic cameras, real-time road conditions, or even the latest events and promotions. This information is clearly plotted out for users within a built-in map, putting information along the island’s transport network at their fingertips.
4. Commenting on the application’s second global win, Rosina Howe-Teo, Group Director, Innovation & InfoComm Technology Group, LTA, said, “MyTransport.SG’s suite of mobile applications is the effort of both LTA and third-party developers coming together to co-create innovative applications leveraging on LTA’s open data. The move to open up LTA’s data is a collaboration between LTA, industry and community to create an ecosystem which encourages the development of innovative transport application for the benefits of the people.”
5. First launched in 2011 with our delivery partner (NCS Pte Ltd), the App is updated quarterly with new features incorporating feedback from public. In the next release, users can look forward to obtaining real-time traffic speed information on expressways and arterial roads to better plan their journey.
6. Some of the App’s features will also be updated with new categories and information. For example, the App’s “Snap-&-Send” feature will have new categories such as Street Pothole and Signage/ Railing to help better categorize information sent in by users.
7. As an added channel for public feedback, “Snap-&-Send” function in the App enables the public to make use of smartphone features to snap pictures of road infrastructure defects such as potholes on the roads, faulty traffic lights, obstructed signage, damaged railings and bridges etc and send these pictorial feedbacks to LTA from their mobile devices.
8. Over 1,600 cases have been received since its launch. These pictorial feedbacks are routed to LTA’s officers from various departments so that they could rectify these defects quickly. (Refer to App Annex 1 for examples of public feedback on road infrastructure defects and action taken.)
9. The App’s “Cycling” feature will also be updated with new cycling paths for the some of the cycling towns such as Pasir Ris, Sembawang and Tampines. The latest suite available to users now includes tie-ups with shopping mall operators like CapitaMalls and Fraser Centrepoint Malls, to incorporate transport with lifestyle activities. Plans are also underway to provide maps with covered walkways to enhance the “first mile, last mile” experience of a typical journey.
10. Apart from its latest win, the App also became the first from a Singapore public agency to win at the W3 Awards last year, which is an international award that honours creative excellence in websites, mobile applications, web videos and other marketing programmes.
11. Locally, MyTransport.SG is now shortlisted for the final round of the eGov Excellence Awards (GEA) 2013, which recognises government agencies that innovate and deliver excellent services electronically to citizens and businesses.
The Summit Emerging Media Award is part of the Summit International Awards, and recognises creative excellence in all forms of emerging media communications, which includes website, social media, mobile apps, online advertising and more. This award is for the pioneers who are leaders, innovators and visionaries in this exciting new realm of advertising.
The Visionary Award recognises winners for demonstrating unusually keen foresight in emerging media. This status is bestowed on a small fraction of entries from Innovator winning entries. The level of prestige is equivalent to Best of Show and is the highest accolade extended by Summit EMA.