1. LTA invites all who are keen to help name the Thomson Line (TSL) stations to contribute their ideas now.
2. Starting today (8 Jan), LTA invites the public to contribute suggestions for the official names of 16 out of 22 Thomson Line (TSL) stations in an LTA station naming exercise. As with the Circle Line and Downtown Line naming exercises, station naming gives the community around each station the opportunity to have a say in determining this permanent aspect of the station’s identity.
Criteria for the Naming of Thomson Line MRT Stations
3. Station names need to fit one of several criteria: help commuters easily identify where the station is located; illustrate the history and heritage of the station’s location; and reflect Singapore’s multi-racial and multi-cultural identity. Stations are not to be named after public structures, or commercial and residential developments.
4. The TSL stations involved in this station naming exercise are:
1) Woodlands North
2) Woodlands South
6) Sin Ming
7) Upper Thomson
8) Mount Pleasant
10) Orchard Boulevard
11) Great World City
14) Shenton Way
15) Marina South
16) Gardens By The Bay
5. Six of the 22 stations - Woodlands, Caldecott, Stevens, Orchard, Outram Park and Marina Bay – are excluded from this exercise as they will already be in operation on other lines before the Thomson Line is fully complete, and will be interchanges for the new line. For example, the Thomson Line’s Stevens station will already be complete and in use on the Downtown Line by 2015. The Thomson Line is expected to be fully complete in 2021.
Avenues to Send in Suggestions
6. Contributors can send suggestions to LTA at http://talk2lta.lta.gov.sg. Apart from suggesting new names, they can also propose that Thomson Line stations keep their current working names along with a brief rationale for their suggested names to explain why they chose them. The closing date to send in suggestions is 17 February 2013.
7. In addition to the Talk2LTA portal, the public can also send suggestions by fax to: 6396 1148, or by mail to: Land Transport Authority, No. 1 Hamsphire Road, Blk 8 Level 2 Singapore 219428 (Attn: Project Communications Dept). Please remember to indicate "TSL Station Naming" on your fax or envelope.
8. LTA will collate and shortlist names that meet the naming criteria, before sending a final list of names for approval to the Street and Building Names Board.
About Thomson Line
9. The Thomson Line (TSL) is a 30km underground train line that is expected to be fully completed in 2021. It is the sixth MRT line and will have 22 stations with 6 interchanges at Woodlands, Caldecott, Stevens, Orchard, Outram Park and Marina Bay which will link to the East-West Line, North-South Line, North-East Line, Circle Line and the future Downtown Line.
10. Commuters can start enjoying the TSL from 2019 when the first stretch (three stations from Woodlands North to Woodlands South) is completed. The second stretch (six stations from Springleaf to Caldecott) will be completed in 2020 and the final stretch (13 stations from Mount Pleasant to Gardens by the Bay) in 2021.
11. An estimated 400,000 commuters can look forward to MRT stations at their doorstep. They will enjoy savings in travelling times. For instance, a resident travelling from Sin Ming to Republic Polytechnic will have his journey time reduced by half, from 50 minutes to 25 minutes. And residents from Springleaf Estate in Sembawang will only need 35 minutes to travel to the Great World City shopping mall, instead of the current 60 minutes.