1. To facilitate the operations of the bus services that serve the Little India area, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will implement the following traffic schemes on Sundays, from 29 December 2013:
- Closure of Hampshire Road starting from Rutland Road to Race Course Road from 2pm to 9.30pm, instead of from 6pm to 11pm previously; and
- Restrictions on vehicles turning right from Buffalo Road to Race Course Road from 4pm to 9.30pm, when bus volume along Race Course Road is higher.
3. Traffic signs will also be displayed to alert motorists of the traffic schemes on Sundays along these roads. LTA will continue to closely monitor the traffic situation in the area and make appropriate adjustments, where required.
Background on buses serving Little India area
4. Currently, bus operators licensed by the Public Transport Council provide point-to-point services to foreign workers travelling between their dormitories and Little India.
5. To manage traffic flow in the Little India area, Hampshire Road and Tekka Lane have been designated for use as passenger points, for the bus services to pick-up and set-down foreign workers. The closure of the section of Hampshire Road and restriction on vehicles turning right from Buffalo Road to Race Course Road are necessary to facilitate safe passenger activities along the road.