1. The Land Transport Authority’s mobile channel - MyTransport.SG, a smartphone application, beat five other finalists to emerge as the Gold award winner in the “Best App/Content by Government/Community” category at the inaugural MOB-Ex Awards held on Thursday (21 March 2013) at the Four Seasons Hotel.
2. The MOB-Ex Awards organised by Marketing Magazine is the first of its kind in Singapore to recognise leading contributors to the market’s vibrant mobile marketing ecosystem. It honours organisations that have pushed the limits and achieved measurable success using the mobile platform through campaign strategies and mobile marketing programmes.
3. Hitting a peak of 3 million page-views a month, MyTransport.SG is a content-rich service offering a wide range of information for all modes of land transportation. It empowers commuters, motorists and cyclists in Singapore to make informed decisions and better plan their journeys. This includes providing information on the nearest bus-stops and taxi stands, nearest cycling paths, parking lot locations and availability, traffic camera images, real-time road conditions or even the latest events and promotions. This information is clearly plotted out for users within a built-in map, putting information along the island’s transport network at their fingertips.
4. Commenting on the application’s latest win, Mrs Rosina Howe-Teo, Group Director, Innovation & InfoComm Technology Group, LTA, said, “MyTransport.SG’s suite of mobile applications is the effort of both LTA and third-party developers coming together to co-create innovative applications leveraging on LTA’s open data. First launched in 2010 with our delivery partner (NCS Pte Ltd), the App is updated quarterly with new features incorporating feedback from public. Users of MyTransport.SG can expect new or enhanced services every quarter like island-wide bus arrival information and sharing of transport information via social media.”
LTA’s Group Director, Innovation & InfoComm Technology Group, Rosina Howe-Teo ( fifth from the left in dark blue) receiving the MOB-Ex gold award together with the winning team from LTA and NCS.
5. Some of the App’s features have also been updated with new categories and information. For example, the App’s “Snap-&-Send” feature will have new categories such as ‘‘Street Pothole” and “Signage/ Railings” to better categorise information sent in by users.
6. As an added channel for public feedback, the “Snap-&-Send” function in the App enables the public to make use of smartphone features to snap pictures of road infrastructure defects such as potholes on the roads, faulty traffic lights, obstructed signage, damaged railings and bridges etc., and send these pictorial feedback to the LTA from their mobile devices.
7. Mrs Rosina Howe-Teo elaborates on this key feature of the App, “The App’s ‘Snap-&-Send’ function allows members of the public to become LTA’s additional ‘eyes and ears’ on the ground. Over 2000 cases have been received since its launch in 2011, and these pictorial feedback are routed to LTA’s officers from various departments thus allowing them to rectify these defects quickly."
8. The App’s “Cycling” feature has also been updated with new cycling paths for the some of the cycling towns such as Pasir Ris, Sembawang and Tampines. The latest suite available to users now includes tie-ups with shopping mall operators like CapitaMalls and Fraser Centrepoint Malls to incorporate transport with lifestyle activities. Plans are also underway to provide maps with covered walkways to enhance the “first mile, last mile” experience of a typical journey. This would help users travelling from home to bus stops, bus interchanges or MRT stations, navigate the best way to travel in sheltered comfort.
9. “Consumer expectations and behaviour are constantly evolving as consumers become more digitally savvy and as more opportunities for collaborative development avail themselves. Usability and intuitive content navigation are key to a customer-centric approach for effective user engagement. MyTransport.SG mobile app, developed by our Mobility Team and Digital Engagement Group, was developed to align to this approach, bringing enhanced value to users. We are honoured to have won this award together with LTA and will continue to bring new innovations to improve our service to the public,” said Mr. Ng See Sing, Head of Portal City, NCS.
10. Apart from its latest win, the App also became the first in Asia Pacific to bag an award at the international Summit Emerging Media Award (EMA) 2012 for visionary achievements last year. It is also the first from a Singapore public agency to win at the W3 Awards in 2012, which is an international award that honours creative excellence in websites, mobile applications, web videos and other marketing programmes.
About MOB-Ex Awards
MOB-Ex Awards is Singapore’s premier event celebrating mobile excellence and recognises the crème de la crème across the mobile marketing ecosystem. It is specifically tailored for mobile agencies, advertisers, vendors, major operators, app developers, content providers and executives from a host of converging industries.
Entries to MOB-Ex Awards were evaluated based on the criteria in key challenge, strategy, execution and outcome. The entrants were judged on how they tackled key challenges, planned effective strategies, successful execution and delivered results for their brand or client.
All winners were decided by a distinguished panel of judges, including top marketers from Visa, DBS Bank and Adobe as well as agency professionals from Taggo and Marketing Association.
Annex : MyTransport.SG - Examples of Public Feedback on Road Infrastructure Defects and Action Taken