Be an Early Bird and Travel Free
1. From 24 June 2013, under the Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) one-year free pre-peak travel trial, commuters travelling by rail into the city centre on weekday mornings1 before the peak period – those who exit at 16 designated city MRT stations2 before 7.45am - will enjoy free train rides. Commuters who exit at these stations between 7.45am and 8am will receive a discount of up to 50 cents off their train fare.
2. The trial is funded by the Government as part of its near term efforts to ease morning peak hour crowding on trains, even as it aggressively increases rail capacity through adding new lines and additional trains in the coming years. Commuters who are able and willing to make changes to their travel schedule are encouraged to travel earlier into the city area before the morning peak. Employers are encouraged to facilitate their employees to travel earlier to take advantage of the scheme.
Adequate capacity during morning pre-peak
3. There is currently adequate capacity on the trains during the morning pre-peak period to cater to more travellers. For example, just before the peak hour (between 7.15am and 7.45am), the average train loading on city-bound trains is around or below 3.5pax/m2 for the North-South, East-West and North East Lines, compared to 4 to 5pax/m2 during the peak hour. Refer to Annex A.
4. There is also spare train capacity that we can deploy during the pre-peak period. LTA is working closely with the train operators to make appropriate adjustments to the train schedules to cater to the potential increase in pre-peak travel, and will monitor the change in travel patterns and make further adjustments where required.
5. Station staff will be on hand to assist passengers and ease commuter flow when the trial begins. More exit fare gates will be activated at the city centre stations to cater to possible increase in commuter exits.
What commuters need to do
6. Commuters who wish to enjoy free travel on rail are advised to:
- Plan their journey and travel earlier, to avoid disappointment if they exit the designated stations later than the prescribed times.
- Be gracious and do not rush when queuing to tap out at the fare gates.
- Use stored-value cards. The trial is not applicable to users of a Monthly Concession Pass (MCP) or Standard Ticket.
1 The scheme is not applicable on weekends and public holidays.
2 The 16 designated stations are Bugis, Chinatown, City Hall, Clarke Quay, Dhoby Ghaut, Lavender, Orchard, Outram Park, Raffles Place, Somerset, Tanjong Pagar, Bayfront, Bras Basah, Esplanade, Marina Bay and Promenade. Trips that start at any of these 16 designated stations will not be applicable for free travel or fare discount.