Better Matching of Taxi Supply and Demand at 7 Selected Taxi Stands
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is embarking on a one-year trial of a Taxi Information System (TIS) from today to better match taxi supply with demand. Seven taxi stands have been selected for the trial. They are located at HarbourFront Centre, Hitachi Towers, Keck Seng Tower, Lucky Plaza, Ngee Ann City, OG People’s Park and VivoCity.
Improving Waiting Times for Commuters, Reducing Empty Cruising for Taxi Drivers
2. The TIS will facilitate better matching of taxis to commuters. It uses heat sensor technology to detect commuters waiting in the taxi queue in real-time. This is supported by intelligent camera technology that displays video footage for taxi drivers and commuters to view the queue status.
3. The average passenger waiting time at the taxi stands in this trial will be calculated based on the information collected, and transmitted to the taxi companies’ call centres. The call centres can in turn broadcast the information to their drivers to encourage unhired taxis to call at those taxi stands with high demand. With the TIS, taxi drivers can reduce empty cruising while commuters can also look forward to shorter taxi waiting times.
4. In the initial stage of the trial, the system is configured to alert the taxi companies’ call centres automatically when there are 15 or more people in the queue, and when the average waiting time for a taxi is more than 15 minutes. This algorithm will be calibrated where necessary during the trial.
Real-time Information on Taxi Queue Length Available Online
5. For the convenience of commuters, real-time footage of the taxi passenger queue at these seven locations will be available online at MyTransport.SG (www.mytransport.sg) from today. With the information, commuters may then decide whether to join the queue or make alternative travel arrangements even before they get to the taxi stand. Information on the average waiting time at these taxi stands will also be available by the end of this year.
6. The real-time footage can also be accessed on the MyTransport.SG mobile phone application. The updated application will be available for Android users at Google Play from today, while the update for iPhone users will be available later.
Annex A: Diagrammatic Representation of the Taxi Information System
Annex B: Taxi Information System Data on the MyTransport.SG Mobile Phone Application