- LTA wins top accolade for using data analytics to improve bus services
- New enhanced features on My.Transport.SG and new Taxi-Taxi@SG app to improve commuting experience
1. With 3.7 million bus rides made daily, and growing steadily every year, how do our bus planners make sense of trip data, analyze and identify ways to improve bus services?
2. Since 2012, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has started to use advanced data analytics to plough through the wealth of fare-card information and gain a better understanding of commuter patterns and travelling demand. This information has helped LTA’s bus planners to efficiently map out travel patterns, identify bus routes with higher loading and inject new bus routes and additional buses to improve bus frequencies under the ongoing Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
3. For this innovative use of technology, LTA has emerged as the winner for Most Innovative Use of Infocomm Technology in the public sector at the National Infocomm Awards (NIA) 2014.
4. Please refer to Annex A for more information on NIA 2014 and the Advanced Data Analytics for BSEP.
5. Said LTA’s Chief Executive Chew Men Leong: “In line with Singapore’s vision to become a smart nation, LTA constantly looks at innovative ways to tap on the real-time travel data that we collect to enable us to better anticipate commuters’ needs and deliver better public transport services. At the same time, such data can also be translated into useful applications that will benefit commuters. By providing commuters with more meaningful and intuitive information, they will be able to make better decisions when they travel on buses and trains, and enjoy a smoother commuting experience.”
6. In the coming months, LTA will also roll out new mobile applications on My.Transport.SG.
Journey Planning on Public Transport Made Easy
7. Designed to help commuters reach their destinations by mapping out the shortest and most convenient route to their destinations on either buses or trains, the new Journey Planner feature provides essential travel information in an easy-to-use, intuitive manner easily accessible to commuters on the go. A key feature of the planner is the personalised alarm function, which shows a countdown of the number of bus stops before users reach their destination, and alerts them as the bus approaches the selected bus stop.
8. When using the journey planner, commuters can expect clear visual cues, such as the colours of the MRT lines as indicated within the station. Commuters can also refer to the platform numbers of the respective stations to identify the direction of travel. For bus commuters, the app will provide real-time update of where the bus is and enable users to identify their current locations along the route. With these features, even commuters who are unfamiliar with the public transport system can travel at ease, without worrying if they would miss their stops or travel in the wrong direction.
9. To facilitate commuters’ journey planning on public transport, the MyTransport.SG Journey Planner feature is currently available for download on both the iOS and Android platforms, as part of the MyTransport.SG app.
More Accurate Bus Arrival Information
10. To provide commuters with more accurate bus journey information, LTA is also working on improving the estimated time of arrival (ETA) for buses in the MyTransport.SG app. The enhanced feature tracks bus location by the seconds and updates commuters by the minute. Commuters will also be able to know if there is seating or standing room available on the selected bus route arriving at the bus stop.
11. This new feature is expected to be rolled out from March 2015.
New Taxi Application – Taxi-Taxi@SG
12. LTA will also launch a new crowd-sourcing application, Taxi-Taxi@SG to show the availability and location of taxis across the island, and better match these taxis to commuters.
13. Through an integrated platform map, commuters can easily locate the number of available taxis near them, and broadcast their positions so taxi drivers can identify the exact locations of potential customers. Similarly, taxi drivers can make use of this app to cut down the time spent on the roads looking for customers.
14. The new Taxi-Taxi@SG app will be launched by mid-Dec 2014.