- The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded Aedge Holdings Pte Ltd a two-year contract to operate three City Direct services from Hougang, Bedok and Eunos to the Central Business District (CBD) under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP). These new bus services, with a total contract value of about $3.4 million, will be launched progressively in the third quarter of 2014.
- The three new City Direct services will make two one-way trips on weekday mornings from the respective housing estates to the CBD, and two one-way return trips in the evenings. With limited stops and the use of expressways, journey times will be comparable to that of taking a feeder bus or LRT and transferring to the MRT into the city. More trips may be added depending on the demand for the services. The bus services will operate during weekday peak periods, excluding public holidays. Further details will be announced closer to the implementation dates.
- This initiative is in line with the Minister for Transport’s announcement at the Committee of Supply 2013 to tap on the resources of private bus operators (PBOs) to augment those of the public transport operators (PTOs). Of the fourteen parallel bus services which will be introduced under BSEP, four will be operated by the PTOs and ten others will be operated by the PBOs as City Direct services through competitive tenders. The tendering process allows the most cost-efficient operators to win the rights to operate the services. Successful operators will have to apply for bus service licences from the Public Transport Council (PTC), which regulates bus services.
 Tender for the three City Direct services were first called in June 2013. As the bids were either not compliant with the tender requirements, or not sufficiently competitive to comply with Government procurement principles, a new tender was called in November 2013.
 The four parallel bus services operated by public transport operators are:
- SBST 513 implemented on 17 Dec 2012 between Tampines West and the CBD
- SMRT 850E implemented on 18 Feb 2013 between Yishun and the CBD
- SMRT 982E implemented on 18 Mar 2013 between Choa Chu Kang and the CBD
- SMRT 951E, implemented on 17 Jun 2013 between Woodlands and the CBD
 The first four City Direct Bus Services operated by private bus operators are:
- City Direct (Jurong West) Service 651 implemented on 2 Sep 2013
- City Direct (Ang Mo Kio) Service 652 implemented on 6 Jan 2014
- City Direct (Bukit Batok/Hillview) Service 653 implemented on 13 Jan 2014
- City Direct (Sengkang) Service 654 implemented on 20 Jan 2014