The Land Transport Authority (LTA) honoured the best in Singapore’s land transport industry at the fourth biennial Land Transport Excellence Awards (LTEA) held this evening at the Shangri-La Hotel, Island Ballroom.
2. Some 27 individuals and organisations were honoured at the awards ceremony across 16 categories. In all, the LTEA attracted 86 entries from both corporations and individuals across various segments of the land transport industry.
3. Said Mr Chew Hock Yong, LTA Chief Executive, “The land transport system that serves Singaporeans today is, in large part, due to the invaluable contributions of individuals and organisations that we have here tonight. On behalf of LTA, I would like to congratulate all the nominees and winners, and thank all of them for their contributions in helping us to develop the land transport system in Singapore.”
4. The award ceremony this year sees the introduction of a new award category to recognise organisations who have embraced initiatives to help their employees shift away from peak period travel and encourage more sustainable transport modes. The inaugural Best Green Transport Partner Award was presented to BP Singapore, IBM and URA for their commitment towards encouraging green and sustainable transport.
5. This year, the Transport Thought Leader Award was presented to Mr Gerard Ee for his leadership in enhancing Singapore’s land transport development. Under his stewardship as the Chairman of the Public Transport Council (PTC), the PTC has established a robust framework to regulate bus and train fares, and keep fares affordable for general commuters. He played an active role in the revamp of the public transport fare structure to a distance-based system, so that commuters no longer incur additional costs for making transfers. He also led the charge in promoting good social behaviour on public transport, launching the Graciousness Programme on Public Transport in May 2009.
6. The Friend of Land Transport award goes to an individual who is deeply passionate about improving the public transport system, especially buses. Since joining LTA’s Friends of Land Transport programme in 2011, Mr Marcelo Ang has been contributing his time and knowledge to help shape the changing public transport landscape. As an associate professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the National University of Singapore, he inspired his students to conduct a research on improvements to the public transport system, and led the group to present their proposals to the LTA management.
7. Proceeds from the evening’s gala awards ceremony will go to the LTA Cares Fund, which reaches out to the financially and physically disadvantaged to help them with their daily transport needs.
8. For the full list of Award Categories and Winners, please refer to the Annex.
About the Land Transport Excellence Awards (LTEA)
9. The biannual Land Transport Excellence Awards (LTEA) was inaugurated in 2008 by the Land Transport Authority to recognise industry partners and individuals who have made significant contributions to Singapore land transport.
10. Award recipients represent the best in their respective fields of expertise and help set new benchmarks for the industry. Through the awards, LTEA aims to create a strong Singapore brand for industry players. It is also a platform to showcase the best practices in the land transport industry.