The Land Transport Authority (LTA), together with the Intelligent Transportation Society Singapore (ITSS), has put in a bid for the rights to host the 26th Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) World Congress 2019 in Singapore.
2. The ITS World Congress is an international event held annually since 1994. It is a platform for government transport agencies, industry players and academic/research institutions to exchange information, share views, as well as to review and showcase the latest global ITS products, services, plans, technological achievements and upcoming trends. This conference typically attracts about 5,000 participants from all over the world.
3. The host of the ITS World Congress rotates among three major geographical regions - America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, hence, it is held once every three years in the Asia-Pacific (AP) region. For the next round in the AP region in 2016, Australia will be hosting the conference in Melbourne. The host for the 2019 ITS World Congress in the AP Region is now up for bidding.
4. LTA has been working closely with the Ministry of Transport, ITSS, Singapore Tourism Board and International Enterprise Singapore to prepare the bid plan. Formal presentation of the bid proposal was held on 6 September 2014 at the 21st ITS World Congress in Detroit, USA, to the ITS Asia-Pacific Board of Directors comprising 11 countries including Singapore. The other countries are Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Taiwan and Thailand. Each country is allowed one vote, and the winner will need to secure at least six votes to win the bid. The ITS Asia Pacific Board of Directors is made up of representatives from the industry and government agencies who support ITS initiatives and development in their countries.
5. The bid results will be announced in April 2015 at the 14th ITS Asia Pacific Forum in Nanjing, China.
6. At the bid presentation in Detroit, Mr Chew Hock Yong, Chief Executive of LTA said, “Singapore is well placed to host the ITS World Congress in 2019 as we would be able to showcase ground-breaking technologies, such as the use of advanced data analytics for transport planning, and our autonomous vehicle trials. Winning this bid will also bring the ITS World Congress to Southeast Asia for the first time, and provide a boost for the ITS sector in this region.”