ITSS Student Chapter Launched at the
Inaugural Intelligent Transport Systems Summit Singapore 2015
As part of efforts to realise the vision of Smart Mobility 2030, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and Intelligent Transportation Society Singapore (ITSS) have launched the ITSS Student Chapter at the inaugural Intelligent Transport Systems Summit Singapore 2015.
2. The ITSS Student Chapter will provide a platform for local tertiary students to exchange ideas with corporate leaders, practitioners and policy makers in the areas of transport engineering and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). With this active sharing, LTA and ITSS aim to attract more young talents to join the transport engineering and ITS industry, and help Singapore move towards realising the vision of Smart Mobility 2030.
3. As a start, the ITSS Student Chapter will showcase some of their ideas at the Inaugural Intelligent Transport Systems Summit Singapore 2015 held at Suntec City from 12 to 13 February 2015. Besides the youth chapter, prominent leaders and experts of land transport innovation and technology will meet at this inaugural Summit. Themed “Seamless Transport for a Smart Nation”, the Summit provides a platform for prominent local and overseas’ speakers to meet and discuss various issues on transport innovation, such as Smart Mobility, Transportation Data Analytics, Autonomous Vehicles, and, Green Mobility and Sustainability.
4. Mr Chew Men Leong, Chief Executive of LTA said: “Increasingly, transport users are relying on real-time data to make decisions on the move. Hence, to prepare for a smarter land transport landscape, we need to enhance technical capabilities within the government by deploying technology in an extensive and systematic manner, in particular innovative technology. The Intelligent Transport Systems Summit 2015 therefore provides a platform conducive for our policy makers and industry players to conceive ideas and solutions to optimise the land transport system and, ultimately, enhance commuter travel experience. We also want to make use of this opportunity to inspire and engage the youth groups in the area of smart transport, so that they are able to understand and perhaps contribute to the creation of the smart transport when they embark on their careers."
5. The Summit provides the opportunity to engage transport and technology communities in the region as Singapore continues its efforts to bid for the rights to host the ITS World Congress in 2019. Formal presentation of the bid proposal was previously held on 6 September 2014 at the 21st ITS World Congress in Detroit, USA, to the ITS Asia-Pacific Board of Directors comprising 11 countries including Singapore. The decision will be made in April 2015 at the 14th ITS Asia Pacific Forum in Nanjing, China.
About ITS Summit Singapore 2015 and Smart Mobility 2030
6. The inaugural ITS Summit Singapore 2015 will be held from 12 to 13 February at the Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Centre. Please refer to the following link for more information on the ITS Summit Singapore 2015:
7. “Smart Mobility 2030” is Singapore’s strategic plan that outlines how the country will develop its Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) over the next 15 years. Its goal is to optimise transport systems and to enhance commuter travel experience across Singapore with the latest ITS initiatives and advancements in transport technologies. For more information, please refer to https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/getting_around/driving_in_singapore/intelligent_transport_systems.html