- From 1 December 2016, the Land Transport Authority (LTA), together with bus and rail operators, will embark on a six-month trial to allow commuters to carry personal mobility devices and foldable bicycles on board trains and buses at all hours of the day. This is another step taken by LTA to encourage more people to use public transport, and to adopt active mobility for the first and last mile of their daily public transport commutes.
- The trial was first announced by Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Minister for Transport, Mr Khaw Boon Wan, at the inaugural Walk Cycle Ride SG Symposium in July 2016. Currently, foldable bicycles of up to 114cm x 64cm x 36cm are only allowed on board trains and buses during off peak hours. With the upcoming trial, commuters can enjoy first-and-last-mile travel with the option of bringing personal mobility devices of up to 120cm x 70cm x 40cm on board public transport at any time of the day.
- Mr Jeremy Yap, LTA's Deputy Chief Executive for Public Transport, Policy and Planning, said, “This initiative integrates active mobility with our public transport system, and brings us closer to our aspiration for walking, cycling and riding public transport to be the best way to get around in Singapore. Commuters will able to cycle or ride to nearby transport nodes, bring their foldable bicycles and personal mobility devices on board public transport, and complete their journeys on their devices.”
Ensuring Safety for All Users
- During the trial, station staff and bus captains will allow commuters with foldable bicycles or personal mobility devices to board trains and buses at all hours provided they comply with the permitted dimensions and rules. (Please refer to the Annex for the full set of rules and guidelines for bringing foldable bicycles and PMDs on board public transport services.) Commuters with foldable bicycles or PMDs are advised to board the next train or bus if the first one is too crowded.
- LTA will be working with bus and rail operators to put up public education materials at train stations and bus interchanges islandwide, to highlight the guidelines and the allowable dimensions for bringing foldable bicycles and PMDs on board trains and buses.
 Mondays to Fridays, 9.30am - 4.00pm and 8.00pm to the end of passenger service, as well as all day on weekends and public holidays.
 Also applies to other permitted articles or items.