New dual three-lane road linking to Aviation Park Road
1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has completed the extended Tanah Merah Coast Road at Changi East. The new road will open on 22 April 2017 (Saturday) at 7pm.
2. LTA has widened the existing Tanah Merah Coast Road and built a new dual three-lane extension to link it to Aviation Park Road. The extended Tanah Merah Coast Road will replace Changi Coast Road, which will be closed on 22 April, 7pm, to facilitate development works for Changi Airport Runway 3 and the new Terminal 5. Motorists can also use the new road as a connection from the East Coast Parkway to Changi Village. Please refer to Annex A for a map of the new road.
3. In conjunction with the new road’s opening, Bus Service 35 which currently plies Changi Coast Road will be rerouted along the new road. Two pairs of new bus stops serving Changi Lodge 2 and Changi Naval Base will be opened.
4. A new park connector running along the extended Tanah Merah Coast Road, linking the existing park connector coming from East Coast Park to the existing park connector at Aviation Park Road, will also be opened to replace the existing park connector along Changi Coast Road.
5. The extended Tanah Merah Coast Road will feature an additional on-road cycling lane on both sides of the road. In response to requests, LTA has been able to set aside, for now, sufficient space for an on-road cycling lane for sports cyclists who currently use the existing Changi Coast Road for training and are likely to switch to using the extended Tanah Merah Coast Road when Changi Coast Road is closed. LTA does not have plans to build more on-road cycling lanes. Given the lack of land in Singapore, LTA will focus on building off-road cycling paths. They are much safer for the majority of cyclists and personal mobility device users. Please refer to Annex B for more details of the on-road cycling lane.
6. Motorists and cyclists are reminded to follow traffic rules and exercise caution, as the area is expected to be heavily used by heavy vehicles for airport expansion works. Motorists are advised to drive carefully. They are also advised to look out for cyclists using the on-road cycling lane, and not to drive into the on-road cycling lane at all times. Cyclists should be alert and on the lookout for traffic, especially turning vehicles. They should not venture out of the on-road cycling lane onto the road itself. Recreational cyclists are advised to use the park connector instead of the on-road cycling lane.