From 1 July 2017, all private hire cars used to provide chauffeured services must display a pair of tamper-evident decals on the front and back windscreen of their vehicles. This is to allow for easier identification of registered private hire cars, and facilitate enforcement against offences such as unregistered cars providing chauffeured services, or private hire cars picking up passengers by street-hail.
Design and Placement of Decals
2. The tamper-evident decals should be affixed at the top right corner of the front windscreen and top left corner of the rear windscreen when viewed from the outside of the vehicle, and must be visible at all times. Please refer to Annex A for the design of the decal and where it should be affixed on a vehicle.
Affixing of Decals
3. Owners of private hire cars registered with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) on or before 28 February 2017, will have their first pair of tamper-evident decals affixed at no cost. Owners who registered their private hire cars after 28 February 2017 will have to get the tamper-evident decals affixed at their own cost. The fee for obtaining and affixing a pair of tamper-evident decals will be $20 (including GST).
4. Private hire car owners can only obtain and get their decals affixed at the following locations from 17 April 2017 onwards (please refer to Annex B for more details on the locations):
a. VICOM/JIC inspection centres;
b. STA inspection centres; or
c. Uber and Grab affixing centres.
5. To ease implementation, LTA will also be working with eligible companies with large fleets of private hire cars to allow them to affix the decals at their own premises.
6. Letters have been mailed to all registered private hire car owners to inform them of the requirement and the steps they need to take.
Inspection of Decals
7. The tamper-evident decals will be inspected when private hire cars undergo regular vehicle inspections. Owners of private hire cars that fail these inspections will not be allowed to renew their road tax.
8. Those who wish to find out more about the periodic inspection for private hire cars may contact VICOM at 6458 4555 or visit their website at http://www.vicom.com.sg/index.htm or STA Inspection at 6452 1398 or visit their website at http://www.stai.com.sg/index.php.
Annex A: Decal Design and Placement
Annex B: Decal Affixing Centres
 The decal cannot be re-used once removed, and any tampering made to the decal will be evident.
 Failure to affix these decals will be an offence under the Road Traffic Act. More details on the penalties will be made known at a later date.
 Uber and Grab affixing centres will only be available until 30 Jun 2017 and are meant to facilitate the affixing for private hire cars registered on or before 28 Feb 2017.
 The companies will only be allowed to affix the decals at their own premises until 30 Jun 2017, and only for private hire cars registered on or before 28 Feb 2017.
 On top of the current vehicle inspection fee, private hire car owners will need to pay an additional fee of $10.70 (including GST) for the inspection.