1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded Contract 151A to the consortium of Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd, Kawasaki Heavy Industries (S) Pte Ltd and CSR Qingdao Sifang Locomotive and Rolling Stock Co. Ltd at an approximate value of S$368 million.
2. Contract 151A is for the design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of 22 six-car trains for the North-South / East-West Lines (NSEWL).
3. The trains are scheduled to be progressively delivered to Singapore from 2011 till 2012.
4. The LTA announced in July last year that it will carry out the Jurong East Modification Project (JEMP) to overcome the infrastructural constraint by creating an additional train track and platform at Jurong East Station which will help improve train turn around time.
5. To complement this improvement, the LTA is purchasing an additional 22 trains for the NSEWL. Commuters will be able to enjoy the benefits of a shorter waiting time for trains along the NSEWL and a more comfortable ride during peak periods.
6. The JEMP and purchase of 22 additional trains will increase the capacity of the NSEW Lines by about 15 percent and enable the lines to meet projected demand till 2020.
About the Contractors
7. Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd is Japan's largest train manufacturer and has been in this industry for over 100 years. Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd has a long involvement with the Singapore MRT system since 1984, having supplied 87 trains for the NSEWL (out of a total r the NSEWL (out of a total r the NSEWL (out of a total of 106 trains).
8. CSR (China Southern Railway) Qingdao Sifang is one of the state-designated manufacturers of rolling stock in China. CSR Qingdao Sifang's range of products includes high-speed trains with maximum speed of up to 300 km/h, light rail vehicles and metro EMU trains. CSR Qingdao Sifang's metro track records include the Batong Line in Beijing and Metro Lines 4 and 5 in Guangzhou. CSR Qingdao Sifang has also supplied 185 cars for the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. CSR Qingdao Sifang has a long history (since 1985) of cooperation with Kawasaki in trains manufacturing.