1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is pleased to announce the award of Contract 919 for Downtown Line 2 (DTL2) civil works to Sembawang Engineers and Constructors Pte Ltd at an approximate value of $378.2 million.
2. Contract 919 is for the design and construction of stations and tunnels at Botanic Gardens and Stevens.
About the Contractor
3. Sembawang Engineers and Constructors Pte Ltd. is a local company with extensive transit construction experience in Singapore. Their on-going Circle Line projects with LTA include Contracts 856 West Coast, Pasir Panjang, Alexandra & Telok Blangah stations and fit out works and tunnels for HarbourFront, and Downtown Line Stage 1 project for Contract 906 Bayfront station and associated tunnels.
4. Construction of the stations is scheduled to commence in the third quarter of 2009 and targeted to complete by 2015.
About Downtown Line 2
5. Built fully underground, the 16.6km long DTL2 is a rapid transit system with 12 stations and one depot. When completed, DTL2 will link commuters from the Bukit Timah corridor to the North East Line (NEL), North South Line (NSL) and Circle Line (CCL), giving them greater accessibility to the rest of the island and significantly improving travel time. It will link the north-western part of the island through DTL1 to commercial, residential and entertainment developments in the Marina Bay area.