1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is pleased to announce the award of Contract 911 for the construction of the Depot for Downtown Line (DTL) to a joint venture comprising of GS Engineering and Construction Corp. of Korea and Hock Lian Seng Infrastructure Ltd of Singapore. This will be the first civil contract awarded for DTL Stage 2.
Scope of Contract
2. The S$410.7 million contract is for the design and construction of the Depot for DTL and its associated tunnels.
3. The 21-hectare at-grade depot is located off Woodlands Road and situated at the north end of the Downtown Line Stage 2. It will house the Operation Control Centre and provide stabling, maintenance, operations and support facilities for Downtown Line Stages 1 and 2.
4. Construction is scheduled to commence in the first quarter of 2009 and is targeted to complete in 2015.
About the Contractor
5. Hock Lian Seng Infrastructure Ltd is a local contractor with extensive experience in the construction of both road and rail infrastructural projects. They have successfully completed the building of Circle Line's Kim Chuan Depot, the largest underground depot in the world today and are currently involved in the construction of DTL1 Marina Bay Station. For road projects, they completed the extension of Buangkok Drive to KPE and Tampines Road including a vehicular bridge over Sungei Serangoon, and the construction of a new vehicular viaduct from Bartley Road to Airport Road.
6. GS Engineering & Construction Corp. is currently undertaking Seoul Subway Line and Goyang Train Depot in Korea and has also recently completed Seoul Subway Line. This will be their first construction contract in Singapore.
About Downtown Line 2
DTL2 will be a 16.6km fully underground rapid transit system with 12 stations and one depot. It will run along the Upper Bukit Timah /Bukit Timah corridor towards the heart of the city at Rochor Road, linking the north-western part of the island through DTL1 to commercial, residential and entertainment developments in the Marina Bay area.