1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is pleased to announce the award of Contract 915 for Downtown Line 2 (DTL2) civil works to SKEC Singapore Branch. This will be the third civil contract awarded for DTL2.
Scope of Contract
2. This approximately S$225.2 million contract is for the design and construction of the tunnels between the stations at Beauty World and Hillview.
About the Contractor
3. SKEC Singapore Branch is a Korean company with extensive transit construction experience in Korea. They are currently undertaking railway projects in Korea. This will be their first construction contract with Singapore.
4. Construction of the tunnels is scheduled to commence in the third quarter of 2009 and targeted to complete by 2015.
About Downtown Line 2
5. Built fully underground, the 16.6km long DTL2 is a rapid transit system with 12 stations and one depot. When completed, DTL2 will link commuters from the Bukit Timah corridor to the North East Line (NEL), North South Line (NSL) and Circle Line (CCL) respectively, giving them greater accessibility to the rest of the island and significantly improving travel time. It will link the north-western part of the island through DTL1 to commercial, residential and entertainment developments in the Marina Bay area.