1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is pleased to announce the award of Contract 916 for Downtown Line stage 2 (DTL2) civil works to McConnell Dowell S.E.A. Pte Ltd. This will be the second civil contract awarded for DTL2.
Scope of Contract
2. The S$339.88 million contract is for the design and construction of the station at Beauty World and its associated tunnels.
3. Located along Upper Bukit Timah Road (off Jalan Jurong Kechil), the station at Beauty World will double up as a Civil Defence (CD) shelter.
4. Construction is scheduled to commence in the second quarter of 2009 and is targeted to complete in 2015.
About the Contractor
5. McConnell Dowell S.E.A. Pte Ltd is an Australian company with extensive construction experience in Singapore. They are currently undertaking a new vehicular bridge connecting mainland Singapore to Sentosa and have recently completed cable tunnel projects with SP PowerAssets Ltd in Singapore. This will be their first construction contract with LTA.
About Downtown Line 2
6. Built fully underground, the 16.6km long DTL2 is a rapid transit system with 12 stations and one depot. When completed, DTL2 will link commuters from the Bukit Timah corridor to the North East Line (NEL), North South Line (NSL) and Circle Line (CCL) respectively, giving them greater accessibility to the rest of the island and significantly improving travel time. It will link the north-western part of the island through DTL1 to commercial, residential and entertainment developments in the Marina Bay area.