1. By the third quarter of 2009, cyclists in Pasir Ris, Tampines and Yishun will have more and better bicycle parking facilities.
2. A pilot project will be launched at Pasir Ris, Tampines and Yishun to build additional bicycle parking facilities that have an improved design. These new facilities will be located along the MRT viaducts near the MRT stations in these towns. The new facilities will allow cyclists the flexibility to lock their bicycles either at the frame or at the wheels, compared to the existing design which can be locked only at the wheels. They will also have basic shelters to protect against weather.
3. The pilot will allow LTA to gather feedback and better understand user needs before extending the facilities to other MRT stations / bus interchanges.
4. The LTA recently awarded a $1.43 million contract to Shincon Industrial Pte Ltd to build the improved facilities.
5. "Cycling has become increasingly popular and as earlier announced by Minister Raymond Lim, the provision of better parking facilities is part of our plans to better cater to the needs of cyclists and to facilitate cycling for intra-town trips, such as to major transport nodes," said LTA Chief Executive Officer, Mr Yam Ah Mee.
6. The three towns were chosen for the pilot as they have a high concentration of cyclists. They also have been experiencing indiscriminate parking of bicycles at and around MRT stations. Besides posing potential safety hazards and inconvenience to other commuters and members of the public, indiscriminate bicycle parking also mars the streetscape.
7. Construction of the racks will commence in the fourth quarter of 2008. A total of 823 additional bicycle racks will be provided. Please refer to Annex A for the breakdown of this figure at the different venues and Annex B for the bicycle parking locations near the respective MRT stations.