1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will be closing Kaki Bukit Avenue 1 (between Jalan Tenaga and Jalan Damai) from 28 August and part of Bencoolen Street (between Prinsep Link and Bras Basah Road) from 16 October to facilitate the construction of Kaki Bukit and Bencoolen DTL3 stations respectively.
2. Temporary road closures and diversions are necessary to ensure the safety of all road users and pedestrians. Motorists will have alternative routes on adjacent roads with new lane additions and road adjustments.
Kaki Bukit Ave 1
3. The proposed Kaki Bukit station is located below Kaki Bukit Avenue 1. Due to the tight corridor between Jalan Tenaga and Jalan Damai, there is insufficient space to divert the road and construct the station. Kaki Bukit Avenue 1 will therefore be closed for five years from August this year to middle of 2016 to facilitate the construction of the station.
Road Improvement Works
4. LTA will widen adjacent roads Jalan Tenaga and Jalan Damai by one lane on each bound.
5. The proposed Bencoolen station is located close to the junction of Bencoolen Street and Bras Basah Road. To construct the 43m deep underground station, works will have to be carried out along the confined and built-up corridor which is surrounded by high rise buildings.
6. For the safety of motorists and pedestrians using the road, the stretch of Bencoolen Street between Prinsep Link and Bras Basah Road will be closed for two years from October this year to end 2013.
Road Improvement Works
7. To enhance the capacity of adjacent roads, LTA will carry out road improvement works. New traffic lights will be installed at the junction of Waterloo Street and Bras Basah Road, as well as Queen Street and Stamford Road. Several other roads around Bencoolen Street, including Middle Road and Selegie Road, will also be improved. All road enhancement works will be carried out before the road closure.
Business As Usual
8. During the road closure, business activities in the vicinity will continue as usual. Directional signages will be displayed to guide shoppers and pedestrians.
9. Two taxi stands along Bencoolen Road will be relocated to Lorong Payah and Bencoolen Street before Prinsep Link. Public transport commuters can refer to signage in the area for directions to the new bus stops and taxi stands. Commuters can also access bus operators' websites to obtain more information on bus diversions.
10. Motorists can expect some congestion and are advised to use alternative routes and plan their journeys in advance. Directional and information signs along the affected roads will be put up to inform and guide motorists.
About Downtown Line 3
The 21-km long DTL3 is the final stretch of the 42-km Downtown Line. It will enhance rail connectivity in the eastern corridors to the Central Business District (CBD) and developments in the Marina Bay area. Fully underground, DTL3 comprises 16 stations, including three interchange stations: MacPherson, Tampines and Expo. These interchange stations will link to the Circle Line (CCL) and the East West Line (EWL), providing greater accessibility and significantly improve travel time for commuters. When fully operational in 2017, the 34 stations on the Downtown Line will serve about 500,000 commuters daily.