1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded two contracts for the installation of Half Height Platform Screen Doors (HHPSD) at above-ground MRT stations along the North-South-East-West (NSEW) Line.
2. Contract C1320 has been awarded to Singapore Technologies Electronics Limited. The approximately $112.3 million contract is for the design, manufacturing, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the Half Height Platform Screen Doors and its associated works at the existing 36 elevated NSEW stations which currently do not have platform screen doors.
3. The Half Height Platform Screen Doors are 1.5 metres high and are installed along the edge of the station platform to create a barrier separating the trackside and the platform.
4. ST Electronics has a strong presence in the rail transportation market in Singapore, the Philippines, Taiwan, China, Thailand, the UAE and Turkey since 1983. Its rail solutions include Integrated Command, Control and Communication Systems, Automatic Fare Collection Systems, Platform Screen Doors and Maintenance Management Systems. They are also currently involved in the Circle Line projects.
5. The approximately $13.9 million contract C1321 has been awarded to Westinghouse Brake and Signal Holdings Limited. This contract is for the signalling interface to ensure that the Half Height Platform Screen Doors are able to synchronise with the train doors.
6. Westinghouse is currently involved in the Boon Lay Extension Line project. It is also the contractor for the signalling system of the existing North-South & East-West MRT Lines, as well as the Changi Airport Extension.
7. The above two projects will commence concurrently in the 3rd quarter of 2008 at three stations at Yishun, Jurong East and Pasir Ris. Works at these stations will be completed by the 4th quarter of 2009.
8. Subsequently, the Half Height Platform Screen Doors will be progressively installed at the remaining 33 stations. All stations will have such doors fitted by 2012. The installation work will be conducted at the stations during non-revenue hours to minimise inconvenience to commuters.
Improving Commuters' Travelling Experience
9. The installation of Half Height Platform Screen Doors at above ground stations is to reduce the number of train service disruptions caused by track intrusion. The installation programme is an initiative highlighted in the Land Transport Master Plan to enhance the safety of our rail system.