1. The Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) will be closed from 12 August 2008 (Tuesday), 11pm to 18 August 2008 (Monday), 5am. This is to facilitate the smooth transition of its operations when the full stretch of the expressway opens to traffic on 20 September 2008.
2. During the closure, the KPE control room will be migrated from Sims Way to Airport Road. A complete shut-down is necessary for safety reasons, to ensure smooth transition of operations, as well as to enable checks on the operational status of all safety equipment in the tunnel.
3. The transition also involves integrating key operation systems of the existing stretch of KPE with the new and unopened stretch of the expressway. Some of these systems include ventilation control, fire protection and lighting control. Comprehensive tests will be conducted on the integrated systems to ensure that they are working well and operationally ready when the expressway opens.
4. Closure messages will be displayed on the Variable Message Signs located along major approach roads to KPE from Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE), Central Expressway (CTE), East Coast Parkway (ECP) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) one week before and during the closure. Announcements on Radio Watch will also be made one day before, as well as throughout the duration of the closure.
5. During the closure period, motorists may use alternative routes suggested in Annex A to commute between the ECP and PIE.
6. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) would like to apologise to motorists for the inconvenience caused. We seek the public's understanding that the closure is necessary to ensure that all systems and equipment are thoroughly tested and operationally ready, so as to ensure motorists a safe travel experience when the full length of the expressway opens in September 2008.
About the KPE
The KPE is a 12-km expressway that stretches from the ECP to the Tampines Expressway (TPE). With nine kilometres of the expressway constructed as an underground tunnel, the KPE will be the longest underground expressway in South-East Asia upon its completion in 2008. . The KPE starts from the ECP in the south, crosses under the Geylang River, Nicoll Highway, Mountbatten Road, Geylang Road, Sims Avenue and the PIE. The route continues from Aljunied Road and Upper Paya Lebar/ Paya Lebar Road before following Airport Road past the Paya Lebar Air Base to connect to the Tampines Expressway (TPE).