To thank all our public transport workers who work tirelessly to make our daily commutes possible, the Land Transport Authority (LTA), in partnership with the Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM), will be launching a series of initiatives in appreciation of our public transport (PT) workers.
Say Hi and Thank You to our Public Transport Workers
2. Anchoring these initiatives is LTA’s campaign that encourages the public to greet and thank the PT workers we interact with daily. Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Baey Yam Keng will launch the campaign on 21 October 2018 by visiting PT workers at Tampines MRT station and bus interchange. Commuters can show their appreciation by sharing their messages online with the hashtag #ThankYouPTWorkers. The campaign will feature outdoor posters, walkway banners, bus advertisements as well as digital engagement efforts to encourage the public to show appreciation to our PT workers.
3. Mr Ngien Hoon Ping, Chief Executive of LTA, said “Our public transport workers are the heart of a people-centric public transport system. They work behind-the-scenes, round-the-clock to ensure our public transport system is safe, reliable and comfortable for commuters. As we go about our journeys, let us remember to show our appreciation for these workers who have made sacrifices to take us everywhere, every day.”
Community Partnerships to thank our PT workers
4. LTA is working with the community and business organisations to recognise our PT workers. In conjunction with World Bread Day, commuters at Bukit Panjang, Jurong East, Bishan and Punggol Interchanges will be encouraged to pen notes of appreciation to our transport workers on 16 October 2018. These messages of thanks, along with Gardenia Cream Rolls, will be given to PT workers. As a token of appreciation, these commuters will also receive a Gardenia Cream Roll, with compliments from Gardenia Foods (S) Pte Ltd.
5. From 1 November, PT workers can enjoy discounts on food and beverage items from various partner merchants. The National Transport Workers’ Union (NTWU) will also be giving out free coffee and tea to the workers at NTWU canteens on 1 November. In recognition of our PT workers’ efforts, the four public transport operators will be organising various benefits and initiatives for their employees.
6. To cultivate the value of appreciation in young Singaporeans, SKM facilitated activities over this year at various schools and student care centres to foster appreciation for our public transport workers. These activities were part of SKM’s Friend of Singa and Seed Kindness Fund Junior Programme. In particular, LTA and SKM visited PLAN student care centre to raise awareness of the roles PT workers play in our daily lives, and to encourage them to pen simple messages of gratitude to the workers. The students will personally present their messages to PT workers at Eunos Interchange later this month.
National Kindness Award - Transport Gold 2018
7. To celebrate kindness in the transport industry, 445 outstanding transport service staff who have demonstrated exemplary acts of service will be recognised and honoured at the 2018 Transport Gold Awards. The ceremony will be held at the Istana on 1 November, with President Halimah Yacob as Guest-of-Honour.