By being alert, vigilant and aware of your surroundings, commuters can play an important role in keeping our public transport system safe. When you spot any abnormalities, report it immediately to the authorities.
Use the H.O.T. protocol to evaluate if the item is suspicious:
- Is it Hidden?
- Is it Obvious?
- Is it not Typical of the environment (e.g. a bag inside a fire extinguisher cabinet?)
If you spot any suspicious items, ask around and see if the items belong to anyone. Do not touch the item and report it to either the staff on duty or call 999.
If you spot a suspicious person, report the incident using S.A.L.U.T.E. details:
- Size – Number of people, gender, age and physical outlook
- Activity – What they are doing that is out of the ordinary
- Location – Note the exact location
- Uniform - Describe what they are wearing including shoes
- Time – Note the date, time and duration of activity
- Equipment – Bag, vehicle model, colour, license plate number, camera, video etc.