Exemption Request for Active Mobility Devices
Commenced on 1 May 2018, the Active Mobility Act (“AMA”) governs the usage of active mobility (AM) devices1 such as Personal Mobility Devices (PMDs), Power-Assisted Bicycles (PABs), Personal Mobility Aids (PMAs), and bicycles on public paths. Section 5A of the Road Traffic Act (“RTA”), which came into force on 15 January 2018, prohibits the use of Personal Mobility Devices (PMDs) on public roads.
Need for Exemption Request
Agencies/organisations who wish to use AM devices and/or motor vehicles that do not comply with AM rules and/or RTA rules for events/trials; or permanently, are required to seek prior approval from MOT/LTA and the corresponding exemption from the Minister for Transport via an exemption request. This also includes the deployment of autonomous mobile robots or autonomous vehicles on public paths.
Below are the key rules that AM devices should adhere to when used on public spaces. A full list of rules can be found here.
Key rules for AM devices
- No riding of PMDs on roads
- No riding of motorised PMDs on footpaths
- No riding of PABs on footpaths
- No riding of PMAs on road
- No driving of motor vehicles (registered/unregistered) on public paths
- Keep within the speed limits on public paths and roads
- Footpaths ≤ 10km/h
- Shared Paths ≤ 25km/h2
- Roads: Follows the speed limit of the road
- AM devices used on public paths must meet the device criteria below:
- Maximum weight ≤ 20kg
- Maximum width ≤ 700mm
- Maximum motorised device speed ≤ 25km/h (for motorised PMDs and PABs)
- UL2272 certified (for motorised PMDs) / EN15194 certified (for PABs)
- All e-scooters (i.e. motorised PMDs with handlebars) used on cycling paths, and all PABs used on cycling paths and/or roads must be registered.
Submission of Exemption Request
Agencies or organisations who wish to apply for an exemption for their event or trial should submit their request at least 10 weeks prior to the actual event. LTA will not be obliged to assess any late or incomplete submission.
To apply for an exemption for use of active mobility devices on public paths and/or roads, download and submit this Request Form (PDF, 430kB), or send your queries to AM_requests@lta.gov.sg.
To apply for an exemption for autonomous mobile robot/autonomous vehicle supervised trials on public paths, download and submit this AV Request Form (PDF, 222kB) to AM_requests@lta.gov.sg.
1AM devices refer to bicycles, Power-Assisted Bicycles (PABs), Personal Mobility Aids (PMAs), Personal Mobility Devices (PMDs) like hoverboards, e-scooters, DYUs, etc.
2Applicable to all AM devices except PMAs which cannot exceed the maximum motorised device speed of 10km/h.