Honouring the Stars of Public Transport
As part of efforts to encourage commuters to be more thoughtful to fellow passengers, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has rolled out a series of initiatives under this year’s Graciousness Campaign. In its 10th year, the campaign aims to foster a culture of graciousness on public transport.
2. Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Transport & Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Baey Yam Keng officially launched the Graciousness Campaign 2019 at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station this afternoon.
3. A set of characters known as the Thoughtful Bunch was introduced in 2014 to personify desired acts of graciousness on public transport. This year, LTA partnered students from the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) to bring the Thoughtful Bunch to life. The five characters in the Thoughtful Bunch - Stand-Up Stacey, Move-In Martin, Give-Way Glenda, Bag-Down Benny and Hush-Hush Hannah - have been given a makeover by students from NAFA’s School of Art and Design, Fashion Studies. Drawing inspiration from their everyday commute on the public transport as well as the gracious acts that the Thoughtful Bunch embodies, the students conceptualised trendy new outfits for each character. Their concepts not only look chic, but they are also accessible to everyone. This styling philosophy is to convey that anyone can be a Stand-Up Stacey or a Move-In Martin and emulate the acts of graciousness advocated by the five characters.
4. Together with the Public Transport Operators, LTA has launched a refreshed series of publicity materials, which feature stronger elements of inclusiveness to encourage commuters to pay extra care to those in need. The vibrant campaign visuals have been rolled out at our public transport nodes, including sheltered walkways, bus stops, MRT stations and even on theme trains.
5. The concept for the theme train is “Your Thoughtfulness Makes You a Star” to celebrate and commend simple acts of thoughtfulness on public transport, such as giving up your seat to someone in need or moving in so that others can board the bus and trains too.
6. Bringing the thoughtfulness message beyond public transport and into our daily lives, LTA is also exploring new collaborations to create everyday reminders of how commuters can create a safe community space, foster positive social norms, and a caring commuting culture. Catch our Thoughtful Bunch shining the spotlight on graciousness on the six themed trains running on all MRT lines from 3 April 2019.
About the Graciousness on Public Transport Campaign
The Land Transport Authority began the Graciousness on Public Transport Campaign in 2009 to promote acts of thoughtful behaviour on public transport, such as giving up seats, queuing in an orderly manner, and moving in for a more pleasant commute.
The five Thoughtful Characters, known as the Thoughtful Bunch, were introduced in 2014. They are:
 There will be one theme train on the North-South and East-West Line (NSEWL), two trains on the Circle Line (CCL), two trains on the North East Line (NEL), and one train on the Downtown Line (DTL) running for 8 to 12 weeks.