New Award Categories in Workplace Safety, Health
and Environment Management
More than 50 contractors, operators and organisations were recognised by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) today for their excellent workplace safety, health and environment management practices in 2018 at the 21st Annual Safety, Health and Environmental Award Convention (ASAC).
2. Originally known as the Annual Safety Award Convention, the renamed ASAC reflects the growing emphasis on health and environment in ensuring a safe workplace. The theme for this year’s convention, “A Healthier Workforce for A Safer Workplace”, supports this expanded focus as well as recommendations of Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) 2028 Tripartite Strategies Committee.
Record Number of Partners Recognised at 21st ASAC
3. This year, the ASAC introduced nine new award categories that recognise safety practices in public transport, road maintenance and operations, logistics and transport and active mobility, covering the entire land transport ecosystem. This brings the total number of categories to 18.
4. Contract T315 Lum Chang Building Contractors Pte Ltd was presented with the LTA Contractors Challenge Shield, the ASAC’s top award, for its work on the existing Tanah Merah Station and existing viaducts. Please refer to the full list of awardees in the Annex.
5. Eight contractors received the inaugural Construction Safety Innovation Award to encourage companies to innovate and leverage technology for construction safety. Hwa Seng Builders was one of the contractors recognised for their innovative use of precast technology to construct vehicular bridges across a waterway for the new road between Lorong Halus and Pasir Ris Industrial Drive 1 under LTA Contract ER519A.
6. With the growing popularity of active mobility devices, in a first at the ASAC, the promotion of safety on public paths was recognised through the Active Mobility Safety Advocate Award. Sengkang Primary and Northlight School received the Excellence and Merit awards in the Schools category, while Nee Soon Central Active Mobility Patrol Team and Tanjong Pagar-Tiong Bahru Active Mobility Patrol Team received the Excellence and Merit awards in the Community category.
7. Sengkang Primary School was recognised for their “6 Joy Values-In-Action Project on Active Mobility Safety”, where students and parent-volunteers came together to educate cyclists and personal mobility device users in their community on active mobility rules and code of conduct through posters and videos. Nee Soon Central Active Mobility Patrol Team was recognized for their initiative to manage indiscriminate parking of bicycles within their community by setting aside a space outside Yishun MRT station to store such bicycles. The team also educated residents on responsible bicycle parking through the use of educational banners that were strategically placed around the community.
8. ASAC was inaugurated in 1999 to recognise contractors who have been proactive and successful in promoting WSH management practices at their worksites, ensuring high health, safety and welfare standards of the workers, and giving due consideration to protecting the public and the environment.
Annex: List of Winners at 21st ASAC
 Efforts to achieve the WSH2028 vision of ‘A Healthy Workforce in Safe Workplaces’ is guided by three strategies (i) Deepen WSH ownership, (ii) Renew focus on workplace health and (iii) Promote technology adoption to advance WSH outcomes.