Commuters in Western Singapore can look forward to more inclusive public transport facilities with the opening of the new Jurong Town Hall Bus Interchange (JTHBI) on Sunday, 26 November 2023.
2. Located along Venture Drive, JTHBI complements Jurong East MRT station and Jurong East Bus Interchange, and will provide added bus capacity to cater to future developments in the area. To facilitate smooth bus operations, the existing Venture Drive will be extended to connect Jurong East Street 11 with Jurong Gateway Road; the extension is expected to be ready for public use in early November. The new bus interchange will be managed by Tower Transit Singapore.
3. The bus interchange has been designed to be more accessible for families with young children, seniors, as well as those with mobility challenges. For example, it will feature barrier-free access at entrances and a dedicated priority queue zone with seating at all boarding berths.
4. Other facilities include wheelchair accessible toilets and changing room, a baby care room for parents and a commuter care room for those who might require a quiet and calming space. These facilities are equipped with auto-sliding doors operated by touchless sensors. The baby care and wheelchair accessible changing rooms also have audio cues to alert when the doors are opening and closing.
5. Besides enhanced commuter facilities, JTHBI also comes with amenities for staff including dedicated staff toilets, cleaner’s room and a staff lounge.
Connectivity to Nearby Transport Nodes
6. JTHBI will be connected to Jurong East MRT station and Jurong East Bus Interchange via additional covered linkways and a pedestrian overhead bridge (fitted with lifts). This ensures convenient access between all three transport nodes, with a fully-sheltered route available for commuters.
New Bus Service and Bus Route Adjustments
7. In tandem with the opening of the bus interchange, a new bus Service 870 will be introduced to connect residents in Tengah new town to key amenities in Jurong East Town Centre. Service 870 will ply along corridors such as Jurong East Central, Bukit Batok West Avenues 3 and 6.
8. Service 78, which currently has first boarding and last alighting points at bus stops along Jurong Gateway Road, will be extended along Jurong Gateway Road and Venture Drive to operate out of JTHBI. At the same time, Service 160 will be amended to ply along Jurong Gateway Road and Venture Drive before terminating at JTHBI; Service 160 will no longer call at Jurong East Bus Interchange. These route changes, along with the introduction of Service 870, will take effect on 26 November 2023.
9. Information on these changes will be available at all relevant bus stops, bus interchanges as well as on LTA’s website. Commuters can also approach staff from the relevant bus operators for assistance.
10. We seek commuters’ understanding that our bus operators may require some time to familiarise themselves with the operations of the new bus interchange. Bus operators, with support from LTA, will monitor the situation closely and make any necessary adjustments to ensure smooth bus journeys for commuters.