Full Opening of Lornie Highway and New Sime Underpass;
New slip road from TPE(SLE) Exit 6 at KPE/TPE Interchange to Halus Link and
New slip road from TPE(PIE) Exit 7 to Halus Link towards Lorong Halus and Punggol Central
Two major road networks, Lornie Highway and the KPE/TPE interchange that will support future traffic demand, will see further enhancements this year. The road networks are part of the Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) efforts to enhance overall road connectivity and capacity to support surrounding future developments.
- A new Sime underpass and the new northbound Lornie Highway will progressively open in two phases in March and April 2019 respectively. The phased approach was adopted given the expected increase in traffic flow from end March to early April due to the Qing Ming Festival.
Opening of New Sime Underpass
- One bound of the Sime Underpass will open at 3am on 24 March 2019 (Sunday). It will connect motorists from Lornie Road (southbound) to Lornie Highway (southbound) and Kheam Hock Road. With this direct connection, the temporary road connection from Sime Road and the signalised junction along Lornie Highway (southbound) will be removed. Please refer to the map in Annex A for more details.
Full Opening of Lornie Highway
- The northbound Lornie Highway towards MacRitchie Viaduct, Adam Underpass and the remaining bound of Sime Underpass will open at 3am on 19 April 2019 (Friday). The Adam Underpass will allow motorists from PIE (Tuas) heading towards PIE (Changi) to have a seamless connection onto Lornie Highway (northbound) towards MacRitchie Viaduct, while the remaining bound of Sime Underpass will bring traffic from Kheam Hock Road towards Lornie Road (northbound). Together with the southbound Lornie Highway that was opened in October 2018, the new Lornie Highway and underpasses will improve traffic flow along Lornie Road and the PIE, and cater to expected growth in future traffic demand. Please refer to the map in Annex B for more details.
- With the opening of the northbound Lornie Highway, a new bus stop will be constructed along the new access road to Sime Road estate. After completing the bus stop, 5 out of the 7 current existing bus services (52, 74, 93, 852, 855) that are currently plying Lornie Road would then ply on the new northbound Lornie Highway. The change in the bus routes is expected by 3Q 2019.
- A new slip road from TPE(SLE) Exit 6 at KPE/TPE interchange to Halus Link towards Lorong Halus and Punggol Central will open to traffic at 3am on 30 March 2019 (Saturday). This will provide motorists returning from TPE(SLE) to Punggol town with an alternative route to Punggol Central, in addition to existing routes via Punggol Road and Punggol Way. The new slip road is expected to alleviate the evening peak traffic along TPE towards SLE and at the Punggol Road / Punggol Way exits.
- A new slip road from TPE(PIE) Exit 7 to Halus Link towards Lorong Halus and Punggol Central will also be opened to traffic by June 2019. This will provide motorists an alternative route to Punggol Central. The current ‘Exit 7’ which connects to KPE(ECP) will be renamed ‘Exit 7A’.
- Please refer to the map in Annex C for more details.
- To help motorists navigate to their destinations, radio messages will be broadcasted on LTA Traffic News. Informational and directional traffic signs will also be provided on site, closer to the opening dates of the above roads.