FINAL NOTICE OF EXHUMATION OF GRAVES (PART OF) AT BUKIT BROWN AND SEH ONG CEMETERIES
The Bukit Brown and Seh Ong Cemeteries are old burial grounds located on State land off Lornie Road. These cemeteries have been closed for burial since the early 1970’s. Part of the burial grounds (see location map below) is required for the development of the new dual four-lane road. The Land Transport Authority of Singapore (LTA) will undertake the exhumation of the affected graves.
Those who wish to claim their ancestors' remains can do so via one of the following methods:
(1) By fax and post to :
Land Transport Authority of Singapore
Survey and Lands Division
1 Hampshire Road
Block 5 Level 2
Fax : 6396 1136
(2) Register in-person at our office at the above-stated address between 8.30 am and 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays except public holidays.
(3) Visit the LTA site office at Bukit Brown Cemetery (at open area near the cemetery gate) between 9 am and 4 pm, Mondays to Fridays except public holidays.
The list of names of the deceased which can be discerned from the tombstones of the Affected Graves (excluding those graves that have been claimed) can be viewed here. However, this list could not be comprehensive as some of the deceased’s full names cannot be discerned from the tombstones due to age and wear-and-tear. Next-of-kin/descendants who may have ancestors buried within the affected boundary should also contact LTA to confirm if their ancestors’ graves are affected by the exhumation exercise.
LTA would also like to inform claimants who have registered their claims of ancestors' remains, that the exhumation of the Affected Graves will be carried out in stages after 15th April 2013. All registered claimants will be notified via post prior to the exhumation date
No further notice or reminder will be issued after this Notice.
- E-mail to email@example.com.
- Call us at our 24-hour Customer Service Line @ 1800-Call LTA (1800-2255 582).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CLAIMANTS
EXHUMATION AND CREMATION RELATING TO CLAIMED GRAVES BY LTA
- LTA will engage an exhumation contractor and will be carrying out the exhumation in stages after 15th April 2013.
- Each grave will be exhumed individually under the supervision of an officer from LTA.
- All exhumed remains will be cremated individually.
- The ashes will be placed in an urn and stored in a standard-size niche at a Government crematorium and columbarium.
- A standard-size marble plaque, inscribed with the name of the deceased and date of death, if made known to LTA, will be installed over the niche.
- The above services will be provided by LTA without charge.
- Claimants may arrange to keep the ashes of the cremated remains at places of their own choice at their own cost.
All Affected Graves which were not claimed by 14th April 2013 will be exhumed in accordance with Government practice for unclaimed graves and the remains cremated individually. The ashes will be kept by LTA and thereafter scattered at sea if they remain unclaimed within 3 years after the date of the exhumation.