Managing the Growth of our Vehicle Population
- 67km of railway completed.
- North-South and East-West MRT lines completed.
- Vehicle Quota System (VQS) introduced bidding for COE.
- TransitLink launches common stored value fare card for use on both bus and rail.
- Central Expressway (CTE) became fully operational.
- Off-Peak Car (OPC) scheme introduced.
- Land Transport Authority (LTA) formed.
- Road Pricing Scheme (RPS) starts along East Coast Parkway.
- MRT extension to Woodlands opened for service.
- Tampines Expressway completed.
- Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) implemented.
- LTA awarded North East Line (NEL) operating licence to SBS.
- First Light Rapid Transit (LRT) in Singapore began operation in Bukit Panjang.
- First appearance of TVMobile on buses.
- Green Vehicle tax rebates introduced.
- Contactless EZ-Link cards replaced magnetic fare cards.
- Changi Airport MRT station commenced operations.
- Singapore's 1st air-conditioned bus interchange opened at Toa Payoh.
- 5 older MRT stations (Dhoby Ghaut, Outram Park, Somerset, Novena, Tampines) upgraded with disabled-friendly facilities.
- North-East Line, Asia's first fully automated underground system opened.
- Quality of Service (QoS) standards introduced for taxi companies.
- The 10.3-km 15-station Punggol LRT opened, providing residents with quick access to NEL.
- The first Wheelchair-Accessible Bus was launched in June 2006 to cater to people with commuters with special mobility needs. A total of nine Wheelchair-Accessible Bus services were launched.
- The LTA Academy was established to share Singapore’s experience and expertise in land transport and to promote the research and exchange of best practices within the global land transport community.
- KPE opened for use.
- Full Day Bus Lane Scheme launched.
- LTA and Traffic Police win the prestigious Prince Michael Safety Award - Global Award for road safety.
- Launch of the Fort Canning Tunnel.
- Launch of the LTA Cares Fund to specifically cater to the transport needs of working adults and students who are financially and physically disadvantaged.
- Launch of the Land Transport Masterplan, a roadmap to guide land transport development in Singapore over the next 15 years.
- Introduction of Mandatory Give Way to Buses scheme to enhance effectiveness of bus priority measures.
- Launch of PublicTransport@SG portal to provide comprehensive public transport information for commuters.
- Opening of five Circle Line stations from Bartley to Marymount.
- Launch of Revised Off-Peak Car (OPC) scheme which allows motorists to enjoy more perks such as unrestricted usage of OPCs on Saturdays and on the eve of five public holidays.
- Opening of 11 Circle Line stations from Dhoby Ghaut to Paya Lebar.
- LTA presented with the Edmund R. Ricker Transportation Safety Council Award (Organisation) in St. Louis, Missouri for its efforts in improving safety for road users in Singapore.
- Circle Line reached full operation in October.
- Launched electric vehicle test bed.
- Completed Barrier Free Accessibility Enhancement
- Construction started for Southeast Asia's First Ecological Corridor, Eco-Link@BKE to link two nature reserves across the expressway.
- Platform screen doors installed on all aboveground MRT train platforms
- The Bus Service Enhacement Programme (BSEP) was introduced in September
- Opening of Bayfront and Marina Bay MRT Stations on the CCL extension
- Opening of the 5km long Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE), Singapore's first undersea road tunnel
- Opening of the first phase of the Downtown Line (DTL) on 22 December
- New Bus Contracting Model introduced
- Opening of Marina South Pier Station