1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded the first two civil contracts for the Downtown Line Stage 3 (DTL3) projects at a total value of S$480.38 million.
Scope of Contract
2. The S$268.68 million Contract C928 is for the construction and completion of Bedok Town Park station and its associated tunnels. Bedok Town Park station will also double up as a Civil Defence shelter. The contract has been awarded to Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd, a major civil engineering contractor from Japan.
3. Sato Kogyo has extensive experience in the construction of rail infrastructural projects in Singapore. They have recently successfully completed the construction of Circle Line from Bartley to Marymount and the Boon Lay Extension, and are currently involved in the construction of Marina Coastal Expressway and Jurong East Modification Project.
4. Contract C929A is for the construction of tunnels between Ubi and Kaki Bukit, between Tai Seng Facility Building and Bedok Town Park as well as between Tai Seng Facility Building and Ubi. It has been awarded to Nishimatsu Construction Co. Ltd at S$211.7 million.
5. Nishimatsu Construction Co Ltd, another major civil engineering contractor from Japan, has similarly worked on several rail projects in Singapore including the part of the Circle Line from Dhoby Ghaut to Bartley.
6. Construction of the Bedok Town Park station and the tunnels are scheduled to commence in the second quarter of this year and targeted to complete in 2017.
About Downtown Line 3
The 21-km long DTL3 is the final stretch of the 42-km Downtown Line. It will enhance rail connectivity in the eastern corridors to the Central Business District (CBD) and developments in the Marina Bay area. Fully underground, DTL3 comprises 16 stations, including three interchange stations: MacPherson, Tampines and Expo. These interchange stations will link to the Circle Line (CCL) and the East West Line (EWL), providing greater accessibility and significantly improve travel time for commuters.
Annex 1 - Map of Contract C928 & Annex 2 - Map of DTL