1. The Tuas West Extension (TWE) will extend the East – West Line from Joo Koon stations. The MRT extension is expected to carry 100,000 commuters a day to Tuas, an area currently not well served by public transport.
2. The 7.5km extension comprises four above ground stations and a twin tracked viaduct. The stations – Gul Circle, Tuas Crescent, Tuas West and Tuas Link - will improve the MRT connectivity that is currently lacking in the Tuas area. Commuters to the Tuas area can also look forward to savings in travelling time by up to 35 minutes.
3. In addition, a road viaduct that is integrated with the rail extension will be constructed to provide motorists with an alternative to busy Pioneer Road. The 4.8km long dual 3-lane viaduct will run along Pioneer Road to join Tuas South Avenue 3. This will be the first twin-tier viaduct in Singapore which will help relieve some of the heavy traffic in the Tuas area.
4. A 26-hectare depot will also be built to provide stabling and maintenance facilities for the additional 13 NSEWL trains that will be bought for the TWE, as well as to cater for future capacity expansion for the NSEWL. In total, the depot can hold 60 trains.
5. Construction works are ongoing. Rail viaduct structures were completed last month, and the station structures will be completed before the end of this year. Trackwork, architectural, electrical and mechanical works are in progress. The basic structure of the depot was completed early this year.
6. TWE is on track to open by the end of 2016.