Marine Crescent Marks the Eighth Completed Silver Zone
Residents living near Marine Crescent and Marine Terrace can now enjoy safer roads, as the estate becomes the eighth completed Silver Zone in Singapore. The completed Silver Zone was unveiled by Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong and Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo at a launch ceremony this morning.
2. Building on the positive feedback and success of existing Silver Zones, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will expand the programme from an initial 35 to a total of 50 locations island-wide by 2023. This is in part of our continuous efforts to support the Action Plan for Successful Ageing, which aims to shape a safe and convenient land transport network for our seniors.
3. The Silver Zone programme was first announced at the Committee of Supply debate in 2014, where senior-friendly road safety features will be implemented in residential areas with high senior resident populations, relatively higher accident rates involving seniors and closer proximity to amenities which seniors frequent. These features are customised to site conditions and remind motorists to slow down and look out for pedestrians, as well as urge senior pedestrians to exercise greater care when crossing the road.
4. For the Silver Zone in Marine Crescent and Marine Terrace, LTA has put in several features to slow down traffic, including a mini roundabout to replace an existing T-junction along Marine Terrace. This feature will help to regulate turning traffic, and at the same time reduce conflict points with pedestrians. Besides designated pedestrian crossings, LTA has also implemented courtesy crossings at locations where pedestrians are likely to cross. These courtesy crossings are barrier-free and come with ramps to allow a safe two-stage crossing for seniors and those on wheelchairs.
5. Please refer to Annex A for a summary of other safety features in the Silver Zone within Marine Crescent and Marine Terrace.
6. Besides Marine Crescent, LTA has completed seven other Silver Zones since 2014. Works in Hougang Avenue 5 are targeted to complete in the third quarter of this year. Another six Silver Zones in Bedok North, Clementi, Commonwealth, Telok Blangah, Toa Payoh and Woodlands are slated for completion by end of 2017.
7. Please refer to Annex B for the implementation schedule for Silver Zones.